This trunk was originally owned by John Cameron, also known as John Cameron the Rich or Squire Cameron. The trunk is made of seal skin and the label on one side reads, “John Cameron Esq. Fairfield, Lancaster.” The destination “Lancaster” on the label can be explained by the fact that travel in the early 1800s (pre-railway days) was usually by boat. If John was travelling from Toronto, he would have directed the trunk to the closest wharf to his home, Lancaster.
John the Rich’s father, John Cameron the Wise came to the Province of New York in 1773 onPearl. He settled with his family on Sir William Johnson’s land in the Johnstown. John Cameron the Wise and his family moved to Glengarry with Sir John Johnson and settled on the Western half of Lot 17, Concession 1. He named this land Fairfield. John Cameron the Rich inherited this land that was just West of Summerstown.
John the Rich joined the Glengarry militia in 1803 and became a Lieutenant during the war of 1812. He served the First Glengarry Flank Company through the war and was Member of the Legislative Assembly for Glengarry County from 1816-1820. He later married Elizabeth Summers of the Summerstown family. At the time of John the Rich’s death, he left over 3800 acres in his will.
Please note this trunk did not belong to John “Cariboo” Cameron. John Cameron the Rich was related to “Cariboo” who later bought the land called Fairfield.
“Dictionary of Glengarry Biography,” Royce MacGillivray, 2010.
originally published on norwestersandloyalistmuseum.ca on September 12th 2013